It’s back to school time and I know that some of you have children entering middle school/junior high, especially girls. I bet that some of you haven’t had “the talk” with them either, have you? If you haven’t talked to your daughter and told her God’s truth about sex then I suggest you do it NOW! Before she steps foot in her school. Do it before her little friends tell her lies and things that could get her into trouble.
I get it, it’s hard to think about telling your baby girl about sex, I have 2 little girls of my own. My oldest is 9 and yes, we’ve had the talk, on her level, of course. I wasn’t ready and I didn’t want to, but she was reading her Bible one day, Genesis, and she read about Adam having sexual relations with Eve. She asked what was sexual relations so I had to tell her, which I’m glad I did, because I was able to tell her the truth before anyone could come to her with lies.
I also realize that a lot of us have believed lies about sex all of our lives and it’s taken a while for us to get rid of the lies and embrace truth. The reality is that so many women still walk around believing lies and the lies follow them into their marriages and their marriages suffer and the women suffer. I know that I don’t want my daughters to go into their marriages with skewed views of sex so as they get older, I will reveal more truth and when they get married, they will be able to go into their marriages fully embracing and enjoying sex the way that God intended.
So, for those of you who are dreading “the talk” or don’t know where to start, I’m giving you a condensed list to start with. Maybe this list will help bring you into truth as well.
Truths About Sex:
1. Sex was created by God, as a gift for married couples; male and female. (Genesis 4:1)
2. Sex is beautiful when done in parameters which God set: marriage! (Hebrews 13:4)
3. Sex represents the intimate relationship that God wishes to have with us. (Song of Solomon)
4. Sex is meant to be like super glue for marriage, so if you’re having sex with someone you’re not married to, then guess what you’ve done? Glued yourself to some random guy!
5. Sex outside of marriage can be devastating. It has lasting emotional, psychological, spiritual and sometimes damaging physical consequences.
6. What happens to you now, sexually, can set the tone for your sexual relationship with your husband.
7. Sex creates soul ties. Each time you have sex, you tie your soul to someone else. Yes, you can be walking around with your soul still tied to your ex, ex, ex, ex boyfriend! Soul ties cannot be broken without God!
8. Sexual immorality is a form of devil worship.
9. Sex outside of marriage separates us from God and keeps us from His best for our lives. Sin separates and sexual immorality is sin and not pleasing to God.
10. SEX IS NOT NASTY! Do not tell your daughter that sex is nasty! She will grow up to be a woman who gets married and won’t be able to enjoy her husband all because she thinks that sex is nasty!
What we tell our young girls now about sex, shapes their future! If you have skewed views of sex, please seek healing. Don’t spread the lies to your daughter. Don’t be afraid to tell her about your mistakes either. Wouldn’t you rather she learned from your mistakes instead of her own especially concerning sex?
These are starting points that you can break down based on the age and maturity of your daughter. Pray before your talk and ask God for wisdom and guidance and don’t be afraid to say that you don’t know. Tell her what you do know and then for the answers you don’t have, you can go and find answers, truth, together. The world, the enemy, isn’t holding back or sugar coating and neither should we. Our kids are in the middle of war and we have to arm them with the truth. If we won’t tell them God’s truth, the enemy is ready and willing to fill them with his lies!
Be blessed & encouraged,