Purge: in summary, to rid yourself of an unwanted feeling, thought or memory, or condition. To remove something physically, abruptly or violently.
In other words to cast down thoughts and imaginations (2 Corinthians 10:5) and get rid of anything or anyone that keeps you from walking in alignment with God.
Isaiah 27:9 (NLT)
9 The Lord did this to purge Israel’s[a] wickedness,
to take away all her sin. As a result, all the pagan altars will be crushed to dust.
No Asherah pole or pagan shrine will be left standing.
When it comes to sin, God is serious! Obviously, because He’s been known to destroy cities because of it, see the story about Sodom and Gomorrah (Genesis 19). You could argue that this was Old Testament news but if that was the case then why did He send Jesus to die on the Cross for us?
If we’re serious about moving forward in the plans that God has for us then we need to be serious in removing things, thoughts, actions and people from our lives that don’t please God, that hinder our relationship with God, that keeps us from moving forward in our calling, our purpose in the kingdom of God.
How do you know if something or someone is stealing your attention and affections from God? Well, let’s do a quick check:
- In the morning, is your first inclination to thank God for another day and pray or is it to check your phone and get yourself together to dash off to work?
- Do you spend more time scrolling through social media or reading your bible?
- When you want to go to church, is there someone hindering you and telling you that you can go any time and suggests a list of other things you can do instead?
- When you mention church or reading your bible, does this person mock or try to shame you?
- Is there a particular act that you participate in (masturbation with sex toys, sex outside of marriage, overeating, emotional eating) that, afterwards, there’s a feeling of condmenation that you just can’t shake?
What came to mind as you asked yourself these questions? Whatever came to mind, is what needs to be purged from your life!
We’re not called to walk this journey alone. I’ve created a private Facebook Group that provides support for the steps in this series. To join, click here!
Be blessed & encouraged,